You can’t talk rock stars without mentioning the late, great guitarist Jimi Hendrix.
Born in Seattle, Hendrix rose to fame across the pond as the lead guitarist for his band, The Jimi Hendrix Experience. His performance at the Monterey Pop Festival in California (1967) sealed his fate stateside and his band quickly rose to prominence. Hendrix and his band went on to headline music festivals all over the country. Rolling Stone ranked him number one on the list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time, a heavy feat for such a short musical career which ended at the age of 28. Hendrix’s life is being immortalized in an upcoming biopic All Is By My Side, starring Andre 3000.
The only thing more flashy than Hendrix’s musical skills was his flashy stage costumes. Hendrix was known for his wild afro, embellished jackets and brave colorful patterns.
Photo: Getty Images
Click through to see some of our favorite style moments from the rockin’ legend.
Andre 3000 on the set of All Is By My Side.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!