It’s difficult to measure with words the difficulties faced by people living with a disability. Whether or not their condition is mental or physical, day-to-day life can often result in a series of struggles. Though it’s easy to dismiss glorifying celebrity actors superficially, it is important we recognize the achievements of those who have overcome disabilities to gain onscreen acclaim. With this in mind, here are 15 actors who have overcome various physical and mental disabilities and become all the more successful because of it.
Photo: Owen Beiny/WENN.com
In an NPR interview, Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd revealed he was treated for Tourette’s Syndrome as a youth. During this period he was also diagnosed as having mild Asperger’s, though the symptoms would subside as he got older.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- 15 Once Tween Stars Who Have Ditched The All American Look For A Edgier Persona!
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Selena Gomez, Bridget Kelly And More!)
- Shop 16 Chic Accessories For Stylish Gadget Geeks & Techies
- Filtered Flicks: This Week’s Most Stylish On Instagram (Selita Ebanks Shines In Mizrahi, J.Lo Chills On Set With Pitbull And More!)
- Arrested Development: 15 Celebs Who Have Been Arrested
- 15 Celebs Who Ditched Their Long Hair For A Shorter Look
- These Actors Almost Missed Out (And So Did We): 15 Stars Who Nearly Passed On Iconic Roles