That age old rule about wearing white after Labor Day is about as outdated as the Motorola Star Track flip phone. White has never been so right for winter, BUT it’s winter white and the right fabric that makes all the difference. What are those right shades of white and fabrics? Don’t fret your fashionable little head. Check out our tips for wearing white this winter, below.
The right shades of white:
It’s pretty simple to spot winter white. It’s off-white, egg-shell, beige or cream. Stark-whites and true-whites—think the color of fresh white linens—are tougher to pull off as they’re typically the more summery side of the hue. This Michael Kors cable knit crewneck sweater is an example of just the right winter white.
The right fabrics:
Just as you want to wear the right shade of white, you also want to make sure you’re wearing it in the right fabric. Generally you’re all set with blends of wool, cashmere, and heavier grades of cotton. You can also get away with lace and some polyester blends. Chiffon, silk, and other similar lightweight fabrics, however, should be stored until spring. Though, this is also dependent on the weather you live in. The ASOS bodycon dress pictured on the left works best because of it’s longer sleeves and thicker fabric.
Head to toe winter white is one way to do it. But, you can also go for high contrast by pairing your egg-shell white shift dress with black. Mix in textures, like with a lace bootie, croc embossed clutch and beaded earrings, to make the look more interesting. We personally love adding a touch of edge. Throw in a neutral like a gray cape-style coat for additional color and balance.
For a flirty twist to your off-white, put on the color in a lace skater dress. Leave the high contrast alone for this look in favor of softer neutrals, like a beige suede bootie, chunky jeweled necklace, and ash colored knit beenie. For the ultimate feminine touch on this flirty look, reach for the fur!
Will you be trying any winter white looks?!
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night