Don’t you just love the UV gel manicures? A super glossy manicure that lasts up to 14 days—what is there NOT to love? Actually earlier this year there WAS a lot to not love about them because many experts were concerned that the constant exposure to the UV rays could increase our risk for cancer. It was also stated that we should be wearing SPF (we should be wearing SPF anyway) when using those little UV lamps, but for some of us cutting back or ceasing the gel manicures altogether was the only option.
But just like politicians, health studies flip flop, and now a recent study says the manicures won’t raise cancer risks.
According to NBC News, in the study researchers looked at three commonly used UV nail lamps. They measured the light, in terms of its likely carcinogenic effects, and calculated the “UV dose” that a user would receive during a 10-minute nail-drying session.
The verdict? It would take 13,000 to 40,000 nail-drying sessions before a person would receive the same UV dose as another with psoriasis who received light treatments for their condition, determined researchers Dr. Alina Markova of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, and Dr. Martin Weinstock of Brown University.
You’d have to have a gel mani every two weeks for the next 250 years to have that much exposure. The researchers have now concluded that these UV lamps “do not produce a clinically significant increased risk of developing skin cancer,” reports NBC News.
Though we don’t get the gel manicures often (we love them but sometimes the 2-week commitment to one shade can be a bit much), but we can breathe easier for the times we do get them.
Were you nervous about the cancer risk in UV lamps? Tell us in the comments!
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- In Light Of Yahoo's Big Day: 10 Fashion Tumblrs You Need To Follow
- Powerball Flashback: A Look At Winners Past
- Hollywood's 15 Most Famous On Again-Off Again Couples
- Are These Once M.I.A. Celebs Ready For A Comeback? 15 Stars That May Be Poised For Career Revival
- Fun and Sun: 15 Summer Beauty Must-Haves
- Blue Carpet Rundown: The 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)