There’s nothing quite like watching a star break down all assumptions audiences previously held about them. The added texture of knowing an actor’s background make their most unique performances that much powerful. Unfortunately, not every audience is always ready to leave the comfort zone they share with and actor. Here are 15 actors who tried to break typecasting to poor results.
Though everyman Kevin Costner would garner positive reviews for his performance as a serial killer in Mr. Brooks, but audiences may not have been ready to see the actor take on such a dark role. When gauged on Kevin Costner’s typical box office standards, the movie was a financial failure—it garnered a mere $29 million in U.S. theaters, a mere $9 million profit. The film seemed to mark the beginning of the end for Costner as a leading man– he will soon be rounding out the supporting cast in Zach Snyder’s Man of Steel.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Selena Gomez, Bridget Kelly And More!)
- Shop 16 Chic Accessories For Stylish Gadget Geeks & Techies
- So Hard To Say Goodbye: 15 Celebrity Couples We Were Sad To See Go
- Filtered Flicks: This Week’s Most Stylish On Instagram (Selita Ebanks Shines In Mizrahi, J.Lo Chills On Set With Pitbull And More!)
- Arrested Development: 15 Celebs Who Have Been Arrested
- 15 Celebs Who Ditched Their Long Hair For A Shorter Look
- These Actors Almost Missed Out (And So Did We): 15 Stars Who Nearly Passed On Iconic Roles
- Celeb Moms That Bounced Back After Pregnancy Like It Was Nothing (Beyoncé's Body Post Blue Ivy, Jennifer Lopez's Curves After Twins and More!)