No one’s killing his vibe anytime soon. Hip hop rookie with the Midas touch Kendrick Lamar rounds out his stellar breakout year with nothing but industry love. His debut album Good Kid m.a.a.d City is a critical success, and now his style has earned him a nod as well. GQ has named the Compton rapper and Dr. Dre ingenue one of the 25 Most Stylish Men Of 2012.
In the interview, K. Dot talks about his massive year. He even talks about taking on hip hop titans Jay-Z and Nas. Bold. We love it!
GQ: How important has Dre been to you as far as a personal relationship and mentorship?
Kendrick Lamar: He told me all the mistakes I shouldn’t make in this business, being a new artist. I’m in a position where a lot of dollars will be thrown my way, and it’s up to me to maintain. One of the first things he told me was that anybody “can get a mansion.” He said, “You can get it. It’s nothing to get. You can get it tomorrow. The best thing to do is maintain it—that’s the hardest thing. Keeping it.”
GQ: Who are the artists that you’d love to go toe-to-toe with, lyrically?
Kendrick Lamar: Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, Rakim, Kurupt…
GQ: Right now, where do you think you stack up in that group?
Kendrick Lamar: I’m on their toes, for sure. I remember when I was a young buck listening to them, I was thirteen or fourteen going back to the albums and how crazy they were. They just have a little more experience than me. I wouldn’t get in the studio with them and be nervous, I’ll put it to you that way. I wouldn’t be nervous.
StyleBlazers, are you feelin’ Kendrick’s style?
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night