Many moviegoers may not realize that filmmakers can be typecast just as easily as Hollywood stars. Getting out of a behind-the-camera niche can prove difficult for filmmakers regardless of age or experience. It is generally audiences and critics who hold the keys to a filmmaker’s genre liberation. Pleasing both can prove to be a tall order indeed. Don’t believe me? Here are 15 directors who tried to branch out of their niche genres who didn’t quite make the jump.
In 2007, Saw director James Wan attempted to break out of the horror genre with Death Sentence. The vigilante action thriller had Kevin Bacon as a father out to avenge the gangland slaying of his son. The film was met with largely negative reviews and performed poorly at the box office. Wan bounced back in 2011 with his haunted house horror movie Insidious, which went on to become the most profitable film of the year.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- 15 Celebs Who Had Crazy Custody Battles
- Becoming 'Yeezus': How Kanye West's Style Has Evolved Since 'The College Dropout'
- 15 Fashion Trends We Never Want To See Again!
- They Turned Up The Melodrama For TV Movies: 15 Stars Who Starred In Lifetime Original Films
- 15 Celebs Who Love A Pair Of Ripped Jeans
- Extreme Beauty: 15 Wacky Celebrity Beauty Treatments
- The Evolution of Baby Kimye: From Baby Bump to Bouncing Baby Girl!
- Father's Day Love: 15 Of The Most Adorable Celebrity Photos