Author Kevin Sessums got to do what many fans of Mary J. Blige have only dreamed of doing.
The author and editor sat down on a cozy couch with the “Queen of Hip-Hop Soul” to discuss the intimate details of her new film, battle with addiction and torrid past for the new issue of Los Angeles Confidential magazine. The beautiful songstress wore, Reem Acra (above), Hervé Léger (below) and other fab designers for the shoot.
In a candid, deep conversation the pair discuss Mary’s journey to the top and the struggles in moving forward. From her relationship with God to being abused as a child, the interview leaves nothing off topic.
On being a born-again Christian: “I loved God, but I didn’t love myself. When I would get really, really high and the daytime would come, I would feel like God was watching me. And that’s when I’d start to go into this panic thing. I remember one night I was soooooo high. And as I was trying to go to sleep there was this dream… mmmmm…. Gosh, man, I don’t know if I should be telling you all of this.”
On playing Betty Shabazz in the new Lifetime film, “Betty and Coretta” : “Women never get a chance to have their stories told when there are important men involved. That’s what drew me to the part.”
On her addictions and fears: “Once I realized, ‘There you go again,’ I had to stop. Whitney Houston’s death really affected me. Her death is another reason I stopped. I really do think I’m done. I looked at how that woman could not perform anymore.”
To read the complete interview, go here.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!