SB: For everyone pledging to get fit for the New Year, what’s the best place to start?
TC: “The best place to start is goal setting. What is that you want to accomplish, and are those goals realistic? I think that’s where a lot of people fall short. They make up these goals, and then they become frustrated and lose interest very quickly. So always make sure that they’re attainable and realistic, and that you put a time frame on them. It definitely could be completing your first marathon or something like that, but don’t think that’s going to happen in the first six months. Make that an end of year goal so you have time to work towards it and accomplish it. So I think setting goals is first and foremost the thing that you should do.”
SB: What are some of the ways to stick with your goals after the initial New Year’s excitement is long gone?
TC: “One of the things that I always do is make a list. I list everything that I want to accomplish and I put them in a very visible place. Sometimes that’s on the wall in my office, or I’ve even put them on my bathroom mirror so I have to look at it every day. I also tend to tell my friends and family my goals that I have for the year so that I have that accountability. Because I know without a shadow of a doubt they will be more than happy to bring it up when I fall off track. And then I think have check-in points. Don’t wait until July to evaluate and see whether or not you’re on track. It’s ok to make adjustments. You just need to kind of build those into your plan. So the first six weeks of the new year, do a check on how you’re coming along with your goals, and see if any adjustments need to be made. And be ok with that. Even if you find you fall off the wagon, don’t beat yourself up too bad. The important part is getting back on the wagon when you fall off.”
Still not sure about about running! You can always run before you walk! Keep reading to learn about BGR!’s plan everyone can try.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Blue Carpet Rundown: The 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age