Photo: Robin Milling/WENN.com
Though atheism denotes a lack of belief in God or religion, many practitioners approach it with the same philosophy or enthusiasm as a spiritual zealot. This characteristic also extends to celebrities, many of whom are outspoken in their atheistic or agnostic belief system. To prove it, here are 15 Hollywood atheism advocates who let their lack of belief inform their work.
Former Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais is known for his in-your-face sense of humor. His approach to atheism is much of the same—the humanist comedian is known for trolling Twitter to express his lack of faith spiritually, often getting into acerbic, long-winded arguments with religious fans. His belief also extends to his work—The Invention of Lying, which he stars in and directed, has his character inventing a religion (re: “lying”) in order to ease his mother’s fear of dying.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!
- Star Witness: 15 Celebrities Who Were Witnesses or Called to Testify in Major Cases
- You're Doing it Wrong!: 15 Movies Based on a True Story That Received Backlash From Their Real-Life Characters
- They Survived Torment, Humiliation, And Degradation Before Fame: 15 Stars Who Were Bullied
- Fashion Forward: 12 Savvy Entrepreneurs To Take Note Of
- In Honor Of Asian American Heritage Week, 12 Of Our Fave Asian American Designers
- They're Greenlighting This? 14 Upcoming Movies That Make Us Question Hollywood's Thought Process