Contrary to popular belief, not every child whose parent is a famed filmmaker chooses to follow in their footsteps. Quite the opposite, in fact– many go into completely different fields to avoid comparison. The handful who have showed the fortitude to attempt to make their own films in spite of (or perhaps because of) their family legacy deserve to be noted. Here are 15 film and television directors who have followed in the professional footsteps of their parents.
Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com
Jason Reitman is the son of blockbuster comedy director Ivan Reitman. Jason is a textbook case of how second generation filmmakers can get out of the shadows of their legendary parents. Rather than attempt to make big budget comedies like his father, Jason has opted to instead focus on intimate, character driven dramedies like Juno, Up In The Air, and Young Adult. While his dad will always have bragging rights as the director who brought us classics like Ghostbusters, Jason has multiple Academy Award nominations to his name thanks to his smaller films.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- 15 Once Tween Stars Who Have Ditched The All American Look For A Edgier Persona!
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Selena Gomez, Bridget Kelly And More!)
- Shop 16 Chic Accessories For Stylish Gadget Geeks & Techies
- So Hard To Say Goodbye: 15 Celebrity Couples We Were Sad To See Go
- Filtered Flicks: This Week’s Most Stylish On Instagram (Selita Ebanks Shines In Mizrahi, J.Lo Chills On Set With Pitbull And More!)
- Arrested Development: 15 Celebs Who Have Been Arrested
- 15 Celebs Who Ditched Their Long Hair For A Shorter Look
- These Actors Almost Missed Out (And So Did We): 15 Stars Who Nearly Passed On Iconic Roles