Kendrick Lamar has the right idea. With boy band comebacks, new Destiny’s Child music and throwback fashion abound, we’ve been feeling nostalgic about the ’90s. Last night, Kendrick brought sax & soul to the SNL stage with his performance of his smooth single, “Poetic Justice.” Let’s face it, there aren’t many hip hop songs out that would make you want to draw a bubble bath, and it’s one of the reasons good kid m.A.A.d city stays in rotation. And K.dot’s ode, and the return of the Poetic Justice braids, has us returning to the source.
Maybe we were a bit young the first time around, but when Janet Jackson hit us with “Any Time, Any Place,” we couldn’t wait for the days when we would really understand just what she was singing about. From her plaits and crop tops, to her raven locks and flowing white skirt, Janet had a sensuality that blended innocence with a quiet confidence that read, let’s get down to business.
Watch Kendrick spit some “Poetic Justice,” Janet get down in “Any Time Any Place,” in the videos below.
Kendrick Lamar- “Poetic Justice” Live on SNL
Janet Jackson- “Any Time, Any Place” Video
StyleBlazers, does Kendrick do justice to Janet’s original?
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night