Love her or hate her (we love her by the way!) Mary J. Blige has always kept it real. In her songs and the way she carries herself as a woman, you know there are no smoke and mirrors. For VIBE Magazine’s 20th Anniversary and Style issue, the “Queen of Hip-Hop Soul” reveals how she perceives her personal style and career now (that has spanned into acting), since she first debuted in 1993.
On how she grew out of her tomboy style:
“I’ve evolved. I’m a woman now, and I’ve softened. I’ve been a tomboy my whole life. But then you get older, you get married, you soften up. You still have that other exterior if needed.”
On when she feels the most beautiful:
“When I’m made up and dressed up and my heart is in the right place… [When] I feel happy. I’m not going to lie and say I feel beautiful when I have on a hair scarf and I’m running to the gym. I feel confident, but beautiful? No.”
Click through to check out more of Mary J. Blige’s VIBE covers over the years.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- 15 Once Tween Stars Who Have Ditched The All American Look For A Edgier Persona!
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Selena Gomez, Bridget Kelly And More!)
- Shop 16 Chic Accessories For Stylish Gadget Geeks & Techies
- So Hard To Say Goodbye: 15 Celebrity Couples We Were Sad To See Go
- Filtered Flicks: This Week’s Most Stylish On Instagram (Selita Ebanks Shines In Mizrahi, J.Lo Chills On Set With Pitbull And More!)
- Arrested Development: 15 Celebs Who Have Been Arrested
- 15 Celebs Who Ditched Their Long Hair For A Shorter Look
- These Actors Almost Missed Out (And So Did We): 15 Stars Who Nearly Passed On Iconic Roles