We recently caught up with Jameel Spencer, the brains behind Jay-Z’s apparel brand, Rocawear. Remember when the clothing line launched back in 1999? Certified hip-hop heads across the country were decked in baggy denim and logo hoodies trying to emulate the Roca-A-Fella Records style. Fast forward to 2011, and the business savvy company births an online marketing campaign, featuring short videos from an array of talented artists, to essentially expand Rocawear’s awareness beyond the urban street wear market. Smart move.
According to Spencer, the label’s chief marketing officer, “Rocawear in the 90′s was successful because of the excitement and enthusiasm with Roca-A Fella Records. Today there are a lot of other brands vying for the same customer so we have to do things a lot different from when the brand first started.” Restructuring the collection topped their to-do list. The boxy cuts and oversized threads of yesteryear are long gone—look out for a slimmer, sleeker more grown-up collection in the months to come. But in the mean time, learn about the brands evolution in the video above.
Note: The Affion Crocket Jay-Z impersonation is hilarious. Please indulge if you haven’t already.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!