Hey StyleBlazers, welcome to the first episode of our exclusive How I Made It online video series. In this series, we are shining the spotlight on fearless, original and inspirational individuals in the fashion and beauty industry. These are the special ones who keep us excited about fashion and style, and we know they will have the same effect on you!
About This Episode
Regal, classic and always chic, beauty and style expert Mikki Taylor is the epitome of elegance and grace. Her signature smile, radiant personality and striking beauty is captivating as she recalls the moment she fell in love with fashion. “I think I came here in love with fashion,” Mikki fantasizes while revealing it was her mother who first introduced her to this exciting and glamorous world.
Having been born and raised in Newark, New Jersey, a mecca of music, arts and culture, it is only fitting that this small town girl, Mikki Taylor would grow to become the famed fashion and beauty cover editor for ESSENCE Magazine. She carved a lane for herself in the fasion industry and now stands as the country’s leading authority on beauty and style for women of color. Her book, Commander In Chic is slated to debut on November 27th:
With her “classic with a twist” sensibility, Michelle Obama oozes chic! Mikki Taylor, one of the nation’s foremost authorities on fashion, beauty, and style, has taken Mrs. Obama as her muse, to write the book women who admire them both have been waiting for, Commander in Chic.
In this episode, Mikki describes in her own words how she made it.
- Original music by Kenneth Whalum III
- Director: Jon Goff
- Director of Photography: Daniel Patterson
- Executive Producer: Liz Burr
- Producer: Raven Carter
- Associate Producer: Metanoya Webb
- Associate Producer: Geo Hagan
- Makeup: Mimi Kamara
WATCH MORE HOW I MADE IT:
- Episode 1: Senior Writer, Newsweek/Daily Beast, Allison Samuel
- Episode 2: Fashion Designer Kevan Hall
- Episode 3: Curl Connoisseur Anthony Dickey
- Episode 4: Photographer Marc Baptiste
- Episode 1: Fashion Critic Robin Givhan
- Episode 2: Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine
- Episode 3: Designer and Stylist Alexis Phifer
- Episode 4: Writer and Editorial Director, Kierna Mayo
- Episode 1: Alek Wek
- Episode 2: Deidre Jefferies
- Episode 3: Beverly Johnson
- Episode 4: Laura Smalls
- Deleted Scenes: Sydne Bolden Long
- Deleted Scenes: Mikki Taylor