For our fourth and final episode of Season 5 for How I Made It, we got the opportunity to speak with shoe designer and newly inducted member of the CFDA Ruthie Davis. Watch the video above to learn how she went from working for other footwear brands to creating her own label and stay tuned for next season!
About This Episode
Ruthie Davis may have started sketching shoes as a young girl but she didn’t know she would create her own shoe line until decades later. Ruthie initially got her start in the footwear industry working for well known brands such as Reebok and Tommy Hilfiger. After working in various roles and honing her design skills, Ruthie eventually decided to create her eponymous label in 2006 which soon became a fan favorite of various A-list celebrities including Beyoncé and Lady Gaga and everyday fashionistas.
To learn Ruthie’s firsthand journey to becoming a successful shoe designer and get advice on following your own dreams no matter how big or small, watch the inspiring video above.
WATCH MORE HOW I MADE IT:
- Episode 1: Lisa Price, Founder of Carol’s Daughter
- Episode 2: Sonia Kashuk, Makeup Artist and Creator of Sonia Kashuk For Target
- Episode 3: Celebrity Hair Stylist Kim Kimble
- Episode 1: Senior Writer, Newsweek/Daily Beast, Allison Samuels
- Episode 2: Fashion Designer Kevan Hall
- Episode 3: Curl Connoisseur Anthony Dickey
- Episode 4: Photographer Marc Baptiste
- Episode 1: Fashion Critic Robin Givhan
- Episode 2: Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine
- Episode 3: Designer and Stylist Alexis Phifer
- Episode 4: Writer and Editorial Director, Kierna Mayo
- Episode 1: Alek Wek
- Episode 2: Deidre Jefferies
- Episode 3: Beverly Johnson
- Episode 4: Laura Smalls
- Deleted Scenes: Sydne Bolden Long
- Deleted Scenes: Mikki Taylor