How I Made It is back with a sixth season! For our first episode of Season 6, we visited the Conde Nast office of Keija Minor, Editor-in-Chief of BRIDES magazine and Brides.com. Watch the video above to learn how Keija went from a corporate attorney to Editor-in-Chief of one of the oldest magazines in America at one of the premier magazine publishing companies.
About This Episode
Keija Minor attended Howard University School of Law with every intention of becoming a lawyer. Although she did indeed go on to practice corporate law, it wasn’t long before Minor decided to make a career transition to publishing. Admitting it wasn’t an easy transition, Keija had to literally start at the bottom of the editorial ladder as a magazine intern.
After paying her dues, Keija eventually worked her way up to Editor-in-Chief of Gotham magazine and then held the same title at Uptown magazine. Keija decided to make the move to Conde Nast when she became Executive Editor of BRIDES under then-Editor-in-Chief Anne Fulenwider. After Anne left to head up Marie Claire, Keija was named Anne’s successor and became the first person of color to ever hold the top title at a Condé Nast publication.
To hear Keija share her career journey from corporate lawyer to Editor-in-Chief of BRIDES, which recently celebrated its 80th anniversary, watch the inspiring video above. To keep up with Keija or learn more, follow her on Twitter @KeijaMinor.
WATCH MORE HOW I MADE IT:
- Episode 1: Lisa Price, Founder of Carol’s Daughter
- Episode 2: Sonia Kashuk, Makeup Artist and Creator of Sonia Kashuk For Target
- Episode 3: Celebrity Hair Stylist Kim Kimble
- Episode 4: Shoe Designer Ruthie Davis
- Episode 1: Senior Writer, Newsweek/Daily Beast, Allison Samuels
- Episode 2: Fashion Designer Kevan Hall
- Episode 3: Curl Connoisseur Anthony Dickey
- Episode 4: Photographer Marc Baptiste
- Episode 1: Fashion Critic Robin Givhan
- Episode 2: Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine
- Episode 3: Designer and Stylist Alexis Phifer
- Episode 4: Writer and Editorial Director, Kierna Mayo
- Episode 1: Alek Wek
- Episode 2: Deidre Jefferies
- Episode 3: Beverly Johnson
- Episode 4: Laura Smalls
- Deleted Scenes: Sydne Bolden Long
- Deleted Scenes: Mikki Taylor
- Episode 1: Mikki Taylor
- Episode 2: Sydne Bolden Long
- Episode 3: Bevy Smith
- Episode 4: Felita Harris
- Deleted Scenes: Bevy Smith