Hey StyleBlazers, welcome to Season 2 of our exclusive How I Made It web series. On this show we are shining the spotlight on fearless, original and inspirational people in women’s fashion and beauty.
About This Episode
Beverly Johnson is the first African-American supermodel. Her stunning features and superstardom would eventually land her on the cover of Vogue magazine in 1974, making world history as the first black model to ever grace the acclaimed magazine’s cover, and forever changing the beauty ideal in the fashion world.
Beverly’s remarkable career, which spans three decades, is a showcase of accomplishment: from model to mom to actress, author, activist, businesswoman, TV personality, and—finally—icon.
As a young girl growing up in Buffalo, NY, Beverly inspired to be a Lawyer. Never in her wildest dreams did she imagine she would be appear in more than 500 magazine covers from Glamour and Cosmopolitan to Essence, Ebony and French Elle, have thousands of editorial pages, and hundreds of advertising campaigns to her credit. Her road to success is not without hardships, however her determination, support of family and unwavering faith has allowed her to succeed many expectations and become a household name. A successful model and now a very successful business woman with her own line of beauty and hair products.
Model Logic haircare line and Beverly Johnson Drawstring Ponytails are available at Target stores or visit beverlyjohnson.com.
In this third episode of season 2, find out how supermodel Beverly Johnson made it.
- Original music by Kenneth Whalum III
- Director: Jon Goff
- Executive Producer: Liz Burr
- Producer: Raven Carter
- Associate Producer: Metanoya Z. Webb
- Camera Operator: Leighton Pope
- Makeup: Mimi Kamara
WATCH MORE HOW I MADE IT:
- Episode 1: Senior Writer, Newsweek/Daily Beast, Allison Samuel
- Episode 2: Fashion Designer Kevan Hall
- Episode 3: Curl Connoisseur Anthony Dickey
- Episode 4: Photographer Marc Baptiste
- Episode 1: Fashion Critic Robin Givhan
- Episode 2: Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine
- Episode 3: Designer and Stylist Alexis Phifer
- Episode 4: Writer and Editorial Director, Kierna Mayo
- Episode 1: Alek Wek
- Episode 2: Deidre Jefferies
- Episode 3: Beverly Johnson
- Episode 4: Laura Smalls
- Deleted Scenes: Sydne Bolden Long
- Deleted Scenes: Mikki Taylor