It’s been a long uphill climb for women and an especially burdensome one for black women. The beaten that we’ve often taken blazing our own trails has left our self-esteem and self-images quite battered and bruised. Which is why we have celebrated, and continue to celebrate, those famous black female figures that we do so fiercely. They taught their generations, and all those that followed, that black was, and always will be, beautiful.
So in honor of National Women’s History Month, we’re celebrating eight great black women in movies, music, modeling, and social movements, who taught us to love ourselves through their own strength, beauty, and undeniably fabulous styles.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!