Bold tribal prints are popping up inside every fashion magazine this spring. Editors and style connoisseurs are totally fascinated with deep-rooted international fabrics, and so are we! But, for Boxing Kitten designer Maya Lake, the focus has never been on trendiness. Fusing her love for classic vintage silhouettes and African textiles, she debuted her first collection a bit ahead of the curve in 2009. Now, you can enjoy a 15% discount on the stunning line, spotted on everyone from Solange and Erykah Badu to Fergie.
According to Lake, Boxing Kitten represents “ethnic rockabilly.” It’s as edgy, ultra-feminine, and multi-faceted as the women who wear it. These elements of duality inspire the line’s designer to explore creative contradictions with shapes, patterns and colors. Whether she’s browsing photos from Ulyana Sergeenko, shooting street style, or vintage hunting, there’s always something keeping her design gears turning. Even her lookbooks and press photos are intricate enough to land on your coffee table, with unique backdrops like boxing rings and rollercoasters at Coney Island.
There’s also a musical energy flowing through Boxing Kitten. Lake grew up in a house full of jazz musicians and many of her closest friends are in bands. She’s got Swedish electronic singer Yukimi Nagano requesting pieces via Twitter, Alicia Keys and Beyoncé draped in Boxing Kitten in music videos (“Put It In A Love Song”), and a producer brother working with R&B crooner Miguel.
With such a medley of creative energy in her world, no wonder she’s been able to put a unique twist on her line for six seasons. “There’s nothing new under the sun, but it’s the fresh and new ways that designers and creative minds interpret and reinvent other ideas that precisely makes them new,” she said. The current collection has double-layered skirts, corset dresses and minis that will surely turn heads.
Get the discount code and see a few of our favorite picks in the gallery below.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!
- Star Witness: 15 Celebrities Who Were Witnesses or Called to Testify in Major Cases
- You're Doing it Wrong!: 15 Movies Based on a True Story That Received Backlash From Their Real-Life Characters
- They Survived Torment, Humiliation, And Degradation Before Fame: 15 Stars Who Were Bullied
- Fashion Forward: 12 Savvy Entrepreneurs To Take Note Of
- In Honor Of Asian American Heritage Week, 12 Of Our Fave Asian American Designers
- They're Greenlighting This? 14 Upcoming Movies That Make Us Question Hollywood's Thought Process