We’ll be honest, we recently hopped on the Azaelia Banks bandwagon. But it has come to our attention that the Harlem rapper may have been influenced by another female rapper, Freddy Hefner, out of Los Angeles, California.
Hefner, who currently resides in New York, released an EP on Halloween of 2011 that featured a song titled “Rapunzel” and often refers to herself as a mermaid; her fans as the “Mermaid Gang.” Around the time that Hefner’s EP was released, Azaelia Banks became infatuated with long hair, referring to herself as Rapunzel and a Mermaid via twitter.
And we couldn’t help but notice Freddy’s stuck out tongue either, another signature style associated with Azealia.
The young Harlem rapper is known for keeping an eye on her competition—starting beef with Austrailian rapper Iggy Azalea after her XXL magazine cover shoot. So is it possible that Banks had been watching Hefner as well?
What do you think StyleBlazers, is it coincidence or copycatting?
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night