As much as we love our hip-hop, and dance songs where we’re tooting and booting it on the floor, sometimes it’s just nice to hear songs that uplift us. And we’re not talking the boring “koombaya” type. We’re talking about the soundtrack we put on when we’re getting our fiercest for a night out, or when we’re slipping into a bubble bath after a long day.
Recently, two tracks surfaced celebrating the beauty of women. The always fashionable soul singer, Melanie Fiona, mashes up movie scenes of femmes kicking major butt, from Pam Grier in Foxy Cleopatra, to Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, and everyone in between. And indie rock band Chester French is causing a stir with their new video, “Black Girls,” in which the lead singer explains why black women are the only ones to rock his world.
So take a moment today to kick back, and enjoy this playlist of 15 songs about you!
Melanie Fiona- “Watch Me Work”
Cause it’s alright, don’t have to be afraid/There’s a spotlight, that’s shining just for you/Go the distance, then show ‘em what we’re really made of…
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!
- Star Witness: 15 Celebrities Who Were Witnesses or Called to Testify in Major Cases
- You're Doing it Wrong!: 15 Movies Based on a True Story That Received Backlash From Their Real-Life Characters
- They Survived Torment, Humiliation, And Degradation Before Fame: 15 Stars Who Were Bullied
- Fashion Forward: 12 Savvy Entrepreneurs To Take Note Of
- In Honor Of Asian American Heritage Week, 12 Of Our Fave Asian American Designers
- They're Greenlighting This? 14 Upcoming Movies That Make Us Question Hollywood's Thought Process