Let’s face it, men of the former years had exceptional taste. Heading out for a stroll down Madison Avenue called for a double-breasted jacket, titled derby and the cleanest pair of wingtips your closet housed. Refined style came with the territory of being a man—it was in your biological makeup—fashion DNA. And in our humble opinion, the colored brothers back then added a little something extra to their retro looks.
Who could forget Billy D’s dictator mustache? Or Sammy Davis, Jr.’s impeccable suits. Bump the rappers and entertainers of today, it’s the unsung style pioneers of yesteryear who wrote the handbook for how a respectable man is supposed to dress.
Dapper dons were made in the 20s and 30s, groomed in the 40s and 50s, paraded their swag throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s, and at the brink of the 21st century, cooled down and let the younger fellas live. Join us in celebrating the iconic style of 8 distinguished gentlemen who were made in the past.
Billy Dee Williams
The $ex appeal of pretty boy Billy, shined through whatever he put on. Mr. Colt 45 was such a ladies man!
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!