A chance encounter five years ago helped prepare men’s neckwear designer Augustine Emuwa for “another level or success.” He recalls: “I walked into the store and the owner told me that I couldn’t afford to shop there, but [I knew] eventually I would.” Today, the designer credits that experience for its significant impact on his life, as it inspired him the launch of his men’s lifestyle brand, Knits and Knotts. StyleBlazer recently caught up with Emuwa to talk bow ties and more.
Three Stack Reversible Bow
In early 2010, Emuwa discovered that he had an aptitude for sewing, and it quickly became a passion. He officially launched Knits and Knotts, a specialty bow tie company, in late 2010. Located in a quaint loft space in Chicago’s Lacuna Artist Lofts Studio, Knits and Knotts’ unisex neckwear is handmade and anything but average. Currently the line offers 20 different shapes, employing unique fabrics and fashion-forward designs—Emuwa, discovered a way to break the clip-on bow tie stigma with its dated styles and limited options.
Camoflauge Slim Tie
On May 1st, Emuwa will launch the Americana Collection, a lookbook, and a relaunched Knits and Knotts website. “The Americana Collection embodies American style,” says Emuwa, who cites Ralph Lauren as one of his biggest inspirations. “This collection is more fashion forward and I only used knit cotton, chambray and camouflage to create the pieces.” Emuwa was most excited about using camouflage, as it’s rarely seen on bow ties. With this collection, Emuwa hopes to bring neckwear to the forefront of an outfit, and make clothing the accessory.
For Knits and Knotts, bow ties are only the beginning. The company is looking to expand its offerings to include jackets, pocket squares and slim ties.
Check out a preview of the Americana Collection! Items will be available for purchase online May 1, 2012.
Two Stack Bow Tie
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Fashion Forward: 12 Savvy Entrepreneurs To Take Note Of
- In Honor Of Asian American Heritage Week, 12 Of Our Fave Asian American Designers
- They're Greenlighting This? 14 Upcoming Movies That Make Us Question Hollywood's Thought Process
- Musicians At The Movies: 15 Rock Stars, Rappers, And Pop Icons Who Received Their Own Film Vehicles
- 15 Musicians With The Biggest World Tours!
- Hollywood Slim Down: 15 Stars Who Lost Major Weight
- In Light Of Yahoo's Big Day: 10 Fashion Tumblrs You Need To Follow
- Powerball Flashback: A Look At Winners Past