It’s been a rough couple years for a lot of industries, fashion not excluded. But, we’d been lulled by the recent lack of magazine folds and design house departures…until news of Betsey Johnson filing for bankruptcy hit the internet a few days ago.
No 30-something year old design house has brought us more fun, funky, or candidly kooky fashions than Betsey Johnson. Unfortunately, the brand’s file for bankruptcy protection—which basically buys a debtor time from possible foreclosures, lawsuits, and the like so they can reorganize their finances—will likely result in about 350 employee dismissals; and possibly most, if not all, the brand’s stores will be closed!
Fret not though fashionistas. On the plus side, the Betsey Johnson e-commerce store, owned by Steve Madden Ltd, will not be affected; the designer still plans to show at Fashion Week this September; lower-priced Betsey Johnson products will still be available in stores like Macy’s; the designer will still do a reality show with her daughter Lulu; and you can look forward to snagging some major Betsey buys from their store-closing sales.
In honor of Ms. Johnson’s departure from high-end design, here are some of her craziest, kookiest moments from over the years.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night