All eyes were on Broadway last night, as music theater fans tuned into the 66th Annual Tony Awards in NYC. Broadway veteran Audra McDonald won the Best Actress in a Leading Role award for her show-stopping performance in “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess.” The singer and actress has won five Tony awards, and even two Grammy awards for her opera recordings. In this all-black Gershwin revival, McDonald stars opposite Norm Lewis as Porgy, and David Alan Grier as Sportin’ Life. In her poignant acceptance speech, she thanked her family, and expressed her love for the stage: “I was a little girl with a potbelly and afro puffs, hyperactive and overdramatic. And I found the theater, and I found my home.” We’re so glad she found her calling.
Porgy and Bess also won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical. You can catch the show at Richard Rogers Theatre, and tickets are available here.
Congrats to Audra and the entire cast!
StyleBlazers, join us in congratulating the truly phenomenal Audra McDonald.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night