Every designer doesn’t sew and sketch; nor does every fashion line carry clothes and shoes. Shoe design is an art in its own right—as designers like Manuel “Manolo” Blahnik Rodriquezand Christian Louboutin will tell you. But there are those select fashion houses that do both, and do it exquisitely. Enter Laura and Kate Mulleavy for Rodarte.
The sisters are set to debut their first footwear collection this fall. The brand’s apparel characteristically features feminine designs with a dark edge that looks to be unearthed from somewhere foreign. And the aesthetic has visibly run down the legs of their apparel into their new shoe line.
The premiere footwear line was inspired by the Australian landscape, same as their fall/winter 2012 rtw. The chunky heeled leather platform, that has been circulating the internet for our viewing pleasure, combines cut-outs, piping, tribal print beading, and a clear heel filled with layers of colored sand.
Of their inaugural shoe collection the Mulleavy sisters said, “For us, every season starts with a shoe idea. Fall allowed us to use a concept we had saved for the right moment. We created heels made of molded resin filled with layers of colored sand. We wanted to reference the amazing layers of earth in the landscape” – MarieClaire.com.
They have, and the results are obviously amazing shoes.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Are These Once M.I.A. Celebs Ready For A Comeback? 15 Stars That May Be Poised For Career Revival
- Fun and Sun: 15 Summer Beauty Must-Haves
- Blue Carpet Rundown: The 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History