Some of Hollywood’s wealthiest stars didn’t grow up in a house with a white picket fence and a back yard. Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett-Smith, and Kerry Washington are a few of many successful concrete roses who were born and raised in the hood. Although the hood may be an extremely challenging environment to grow up in, these classy ladies still managed to make a name for themselves, and brought truth to the saying: “It doesn’t matter where you come from, it matters where you’re going.” Get inspired by 15 sophisticated women with humble beginnings that helped to mold them into the superstars they are today.
Find out which Hollywood A-listers made their way out of the hood below.
Queen Latifah grew up in Newark, NJ.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!
- Star Witness: 15 Celebrities Who Were Witnesses or Called to Testify in Major Cases
- You're Doing it Wrong!: 15 Movies Based on a True Story That Received Backlash From Their Real-Life Characters
- They Survived Torment, Humiliation, And Degradation Before Fame: 15 Stars Who Were Bullied
- Fashion Forward: 12 Savvy Entrepreneurs To Take Note Of
- In Honor Of Asian American Heritage Week, 12 Of Our Fave Asian American Designers
- They're Greenlighting This? 14 Upcoming Movies That Make Us Question Hollywood's Thought Process