This week we mourned the loss of television icon, Sherman Hemsley, who died at the age of 74. Whether you remember him from the ’70s sitcom The Jeffersons or have fond memories of him as Deacon Frye on Amen, we all remember that the 74 year old star’s career spanned decades. In addition to being a TV icon, his threads weren’t too shabby either. Remember those fly suits he wore? Like Hemsley, some of our favorite sitcom stars of the ’70s and ’80s influenced the way we dressed back then and still inspire us today. Maybe you were a fan of the glamorous Diahann Carroll, the playful Tootie on The Facts of Life, or Lisa Bonet’s boho style on The Cosby Show. These stars came into our living rooms every week and imparted serious style lessons.
Take a look at eight of our fave tv style stars of the ’70s and ’80s.
Sherman Hemsley, The Jeffersons
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night