Hey StyleBlazers, welcome to Season 3 – Episode 4 of our exclusive web series, How I Made It.
About This Episode
Kierna Mayo is currently Editorial Director, Digital for Ebony.com. Prior to this achievement she obtained much success writing for national magazines including ESSENCE, Marie Claire, Glamour, Seventeen and so many more, as well as occupying several editorial positions. Most recently she served as the former Editorial Director of Tyra.com, where she developed a cutting-edge, online resource geared towards women. Kierna’s roots in writing extend deep. In 1991 she became one of the first female editors of The Source magazine.
Much of Mayo’s writing over the years has focused on women’s issues in the hip-hop generation. Most notably, Mayo is the co-founder and founding Editor-in-Chief of Honey magazine, which initially sought to create a place for women to discuss issues. A mother, a daughter, a writer, Mayo is dedicated to her work of uplifting and empowering young Black women through words. It was an absolute delight for StyleBlazer to speak exclusively with writer Kierna Mayo to hear her story on how she made it.
WATCH MORE HOW I MADE IT:
- Episode 1: Senior Writer, Newsweek/Daily Beast, Allison Samuel
- Episode 2: Fashion Designer Kevan Hall
- Episode 3: Curl Connoisseur Anthony Dickey
- Episode 4: Photographer Marc Baptiste
- Episode 1: Fashion Critic Robin Givhan
- Episode 2: Celebrity Makeup Artist Sam Fine
- Episode 3: Designer and Stylist Alexis Phifer
- Episode 4: Writer and Editorial Director, Kierna Mayo
- Episode 1: Alek Wek
- Episode 2: Deidre Jefferies
- Episode 3: Beverly Johnson
- Episode 4: Laura Smalls
- Deleted Scenes: Sydne Bolden Long
- Deleted Scenes: Mikki Taylor