StyleBlazer caught up with celebrity stylist Carlton Jones at the Dark and Lovely/Essence Magazine Fashionista Model Search this past Wednesday in New York City. Carlton’s extensive client list includes First Lady Michelle Obama, Halle Berry, Tyra Banks and Alicia Keys.
The event kicked off with a panel discussion covering the hottest topics in fashion and beauty and then an exciting Q&A with the audience and expert panelist followed. Indulge in the following tips Jones and Essence Editor-At-Large, Mikki Taylor, dished for all you dedicated StyleBlazers. But first, watch the video above.
“It’s about balance, a fashionista knows that and is always pulled together. Live from the inside out opposed to from the outside in.”
“A great fashionista is someone who knows herself and is comfortable with being the standout woman.”
“Establish your signature style and remember trends are tools–figure out how they fit into your personal style.”
“Know when to make investment buys and be able to distinguish the difference between throwaway chic and investment. Trends aren’t investments.”
“Fit is the biggest rule—excessive fabric doesn’t hide weight, it adds weight and clothes that are too small, suck you in and give you the sausage look. Know your body type and learn how to accentuate what’s working for you.”
5 Key Wardrobe Pieces:
Go to Heel
Great Fitting Jeans
Key Elements for Establishing Summer Work Wardrobe:
Dress for the position you aspire to be in so people can actually see you in that position
Only wear flip flops to work if you’re a lifeguard
Consider the field of work you’re in (creative, corporate, service, etc.) and dress appropriately for your
-Metanoya Z. Webb
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Overnight Sensations: 15 Celebrities Who Seem To Have Made It Overnight
- Tinseltown Magic: 15 Stars Who Have Opted For Plastic Surgery
- These Secret Twists Didn't Get Spoiled: 15 Of Our Favorite Old And New Film Fake-Outs
- Discovered by Disney: 15 Stars Who Got Their Start With Mickey
- The It Factor: Kelly Rowland's 10 Best Looks
- Editors' Pick: Best Shoe Game
- Politicians That Got A Second Chance (From Affairs To Prostitution And More!)
- Sister, Sister: Red Carpet Fashion Faceoff!