Jill Scott is not to be looked over in the trending natural hair movement. The songstress demands attention as ESSENCE’s October cover girl (on newsstands now!), rocking a super sassy TWA (tweeny weeny afro). Jill evokes poise and grace while rocking her short au naturale ‘do.
In the issue, Jill reveals that she’s absolutely loving her new look:
“This is the simplest form of myself. I look in the mirror and it’s like, ‘Here, there you go. What’s up, girl?’ For me, hair is an accouterment. Hair is jewelry. It’s an accessory. Tomorrow I may want a wig down to my butt and I’m gonna rock it, and the next day I may want a big Afro and I’m gonna rock that too…”
A divorce, broken engagement, split from her record label and the abrupt ending of her HBO series The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency were not enough to keep this “Golden” lady down. She also speaks on the recent upswing in her life. She has a new Lifetime TV movie in the works Steel Magnolias, an all-black adaptation of the 1989 film and noted play.
Check out photos from Steel Magnolias below, and check out the film on Lifetime on Oct. 7 at 9pm.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- Gifted and Talented: 15 Musicians Who Have Made Their Way On Screen
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Misty Copeland, Kerry Washington And More)
- Modelizers: Leading Men Who Chose Models
- The Sequels Being Fast Tracked That You Didn't Expect: 15 Upcoming (And Surprising) Franchise Follow-Ups
- Billboard Music Awards: Best Dressed History
- Fitspiration: Brown Girls DO Work Out! (Our Fave Celebs Getting It In At The Gym)
- Fine Wine: 15 Men Who Got Better Looking With Age
- Embellished Fashion Pieces for Day & Night