Insert your feet, strap the buckles, bend your knees and go! Appropriately titled “Scary Beautiful,” artist Leanie van der Vyver, created these proportionally challenged heels as social commentary on the impossible beauty standards set by the fashion world. The recent graduate of Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam, put together a video depicting a model wearing the shoes– obviously struggling– to solidify that they are as uncomfortable as they look.
“After working in fashion for seven years, and therefore being well aware of the manipulation images in fashion suffer for a perfect result, I still compare myself to them and other current beauty ideals,” Vyver told Yahoo Shine. “My frustration with my own inability to overcome these feelings of inadequacy was what brought ‘Scary Beautiful’ into fruition. [The shoes] challenge current beauty ideals by inflicting an unexpected new beauty standard.”
Reminiscent of Alexander McQueen’s 10 inch Armadillo heels, popularized by Lady Gaga, Vyver sent the shoes to the pop artist for a video she was shooting. There is no confirmation if Gaga used them.
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- SB Celebrates Barack and Michelle Obama’s 20th Anniversary: Head Of State, Head Of Style, Head Of Love!
- StyleBlazer TV Exclusive: Reel Street Style Fashion Flashback to NYFW Lincoln Center Show-Goers (Part 2)
- Celebs Dress-Up For Halloween (Get Your Costume Inspiration HereL Kim Kardashian, Rihanna, Gabrielle Union & More)
- Pamela Love Makes Footwear Debut With Nine West (Peep Jewelry Designer’s Mean Boot Game!)
- Good Style: 19 Of The Best Dressed Fashion Magazine Editors
- Look Here! A Behind-The-Scenes Look At Maison Margiela For H&M
- Video Premiere: Solange Jams Out In Capetown For “Losing You Video” (The Cool, Calm & Eclectic Knowles)
- Styleblazer Beauty: The Best (And Chicest) Beauty Products For Breast Cancer Awareness (Shop Them All!)