Are you ready to feel old? Ten years ago today, Brown Sugar hit theaters and reminded us all of the moment we first fell in love with hip hop…or that cute boy next door. In the midst of the drama-filled reality TV era that brought us such passionate (and tumultuous) love affairs as Evelyn Lozada and Chad Ochocinco, we wouldn’t mind a little old fashioned black romance. Not that Brown Sugar was completely without drama. A love triangle between a man, his wife and his best friend is plenty. To celebrate the film’s ten year anniversary, we’re looking back at the film’s two leading ladies, Sanaa Lathan and Nicole Ari Parker. Take a look at what they wore back then, and imagine what they’d wear in 2012!
Sanaa’s character, Sidney Shaw, was your average around the way girl – smart, sassy, effortlessly beautiful, and sporty. In the scene where she met Dre (played by Taye Diggs) at the park to discuss his decision to leave his job we loved Sid’s effortless leather blazer, jeans,and sneakers. It’s not hard to see why Dre is so smitten with his BFF. Updating the look was a cinch! After dating that fine Mr. Kelby Dawson (played by Boris Kodjoe), Sid’s look got a little more feminine and sophisticated. A femmed up peplum cut leather jacket and tee are right up her alley, and we swapped out her regular sneakers for a pair of wedge sneakers. Viola: welcome to 2012!
Reese (Nicole Ari Parker)
Nicole Ari Parker’s character, Reese Wiggam was one prim and proper classy lady! She had little cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off at her engagement party. She’d never be caught in sneakers outside of the gym. She’s more of a pencil skirt, cardigan, and slingbacks kinda girl – we can dig it. In 2012, we think Reese would live in Ann Taylor during the week, and J. Crew on the weekend. We updated her look with a bronze faux leather pencil skirt a pair of taupe Diane Von Furstenberg heels!
Photo Credit: IMDB, Phase9
Click through to see our take on the modern day Sidney and Reese!
StyleBlazer Must Reads:
- 15 Once Tween Stars Who Have Ditched The All American Look For A Edgier Persona!
- Winners Circle: The Best Dressed StyleBlazers Of The Week (Selena Gomez, Bridget Kelly And More!)
- Shop 16 Chic Accessories For Stylish Gadget Geeks & Techies
- So Hard To Say Goodbye: 15 Celebrity Couples We Were Sad To See Go
- Filtered Flicks: This Week’s Most Stylish On Instagram (Selita Ebanks Shines In Mizrahi, J.Lo Chills On Set With Pitbull And More!)
- Arrested Development: 15 Celebs Who Have Been Arrested
- 15 Celebs Who Ditched Their Long Hair For A Shorter Look
- These Actors Almost Missed Out (And So Did We): 15 Stars Who Nearly Passed On Iconic Roles